18.9.12

almond crusted chicken with mushroom sauce

I actually have come a long way- I used to hate mushrooms. I didn't actually start eating them until I was living in France. My friend, Nezia, used to make a dish just with mushrooms, salt, and oil. It was simple but she let them simmer for a very long time. That must have been the key. Or maybe it was the salt and oil. For awhile, that was the only way I would eat them but a few years ago I started to branch out and I will eat them pretty much any way I can get them except for raw.

This recipe is Paleo but you don't need be on a Paleo diet to enjoy its deliciousness. I really should have made extra of this dish - especially of the mushrooms. I just wanted to pile all those yummy mushrooms on top of my one piece of chicken. This is definitely going to become a staple in my kitchen. It is easy to make but fancy enough for guests.
ALMOND CRUSTED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
serves 3 - 4
adapted from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
1 c. raw almonds, run through the food processor until finely chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. clarified butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
1/4 c. dry sherry
1 c. chicken stock
2 tsp. scallions, sliced

Preheat oven to 375º F. 

If chicken breasts are thick, pound to about 3/4 inch thickness. 

On a large plate, combine almonds and garlic powder. Dredge chicken breasts through almond mixture. 

Heat skillet over high medium-high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, cook chicken breasts on each side until browned. Remove chicken breasts and place in baking dish. Bake for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Reduce skillet to medium. Add butter to skillet scraping up any bits from chicken. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds being careful not to burn. Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Add sherry and chicken stock. Let simmer until slightly reduced and mushrooms are cooked. Add scallions right before serving.

Serve mushrooms over chicken.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love this recipe! I might use almond flour instead of pulsing almonds because obviously, I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete